News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Arctic Monkeys Break The Mould On Marketing Strategy
Music executives from all over the world are gathering together in Berlin’s International Congress Center for the 18th Popkomm international business platform for music and entertainment.
All these executives are brainstorming to come up with strategies for saving the industry. Viral Marketing is one of these strategies, involving word-of-mouth marketing via blogs, internet forums and social networking websites.
Marketing strategists mentioned the Arctic Monkeys as an example for how to break the mould on traditional marketing.
The four young guys from UK defied conventional industry wisdom by side-stepping traditional marketing procedures and making their music available free of charge via the internet. The resulting word-of-mouth buzz propelled them to the top of the charts.
The band was not bothered by the fact that fans copied their CDs and distributed them to friends. The Arctic Monkeys accepted that as a necessary step towards fame and eventually to fortune.
This innovative marketing strategy paid off because by the time the Arctic Monkeys released their debut album last January, they were so well known that sales soared to 118,000 within days in Britain.
Tags: viral marketing
- Personal data: Lack of trust could hinder business growth
- 'Digiboomers' neglected by marketers
- UK: Pureplay online sales will exceed multichannel retailers' this year
- Report: Brands need to up their content focus
- Report shows shoppers want retail everywhere
- Report: Cash still top American payment method
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Nation Online - The Next Era
Ready for the year's most innovative online conference for marketers? Join us on Wednesday, September 2nd from 9:30am - 1:00pm...