News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
AOL Vying To Outwit Rivals By Offering Enhanced Search and Listing Facilities To Online Video Sharers
America Online has joined the race for a slice of the highly trafficked video sharing action on the web, by saying it’s offering greater compatibility than its rivals in terms of search features. The company has opened its search engine up to third party developers and video content owners, launching the AOL Video Search developer program.
AOL offers webmasters wishing to publish video content both open video search APIs (application programming interfaces) and an opportunity to submit feeds free of charge to the AOL Video Search index.
The API video search technology is available both in REST and AJAX. Other functionality includes advanced keyword searching as well as video browsing by category, channel, tag or user; sorting and filtering capabilities for video search results; rich support for user ratings, tagging, favorites, etc; integrated support for easy user sharing on social networking sites, blogs, etc.; full RSS support; self-service online sign-up.
AOL follows in the footsteps of various other search giants who are in turn trying to emulate the success of YouTube. Others that have jumped on the bandwagon include Microsoft Corp. which started testing its equivalent, called Soapbox, last Tuesday. Others out to vie for a slice of the billion dollar advertising revenue that this market has created virtually overnight, include Google, Yahoo, News Corp.'s networking site MySpace. Last month, Sony Corp. offered USD65 million for Grouper.com, another video sharing site. According to Nielsen//Netratings, YouTube last August attracted 34 million visitors.
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...