News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
AOL Vying To Outwit Rivals By Offering Enhanced Search and Listing Facilities To Online Video Sharers
America Online has joined the race for a slice of the highly trafficked video sharing action on the web, by saying it’s offering greater compatibility than its rivals in terms of search features. The company has opened its search engine up to third party developers and video content owners, launching the AOL Video Search developer program.
AOL offers webmasters wishing to publish video content both open video search APIs (application programming interfaces) and an opportunity to submit feeds free of charge to the AOL Video Search index.
The API video search technology is available both in REST and AJAX. Other functionality includes advanced keyword searching as well as video browsing by category, channel, tag or user; sorting and filtering capabilities for video search results; rich support for user ratings, tagging, favorites, etc; integrated support for easy user sharing on social networking sites, blogs, etc.; full RSS support; self-service online sign-up.
AOL follows in the footsteps of various other search giants who are in turn trying to emulate the success of YouTube. Others that have jumped on the bandwagon include Microsoft Corp. which started testing its equivalent, called Soapbox, last Tuesday. Others out to vie for a slice of the billion dollar advertising revenue that this market has created virtually overnight, include Google, Yahoo, News Corp.'s networking site MySpace. Last month, Sony Corp. offered USD65 million for Grouper.com, another video sharing site. According to Nielsen//Netratings, YouTube last August attracted 34 million visitors.
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...