News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
AOL Vying To Outwit Rivals By Offering Enhanced Search and Listing Facilities To Online Video Sharers
America Online has joined the race for a slice of the highly trafficked video sharing action on the web, by saying it’s offering greater compatibility than its rivals in terms of search features. The company has opened its search engine up to third party developers and video content owners, launching the AOL Video Search developer program.
AOL offers webmasters wishing to publish video content both open video search APIs (application programming interfaces) and an opportunity to submit feeds free of charge to the AOL Video Search index.
The API video search technology is available both in REST and AJAX. Other functionality includes advanced keyword searching as well as video browsing by category, channel, tag or user; sorting and filtering capabilities for video search results; rich support for user ratings, tagging, favorites, etc; integrated support for easy user sharing on social networking sites, blogs, etc.; full RSS support; self-service online sign-up.
AOL follows in the footsteps of various other search giants who are in turn trying to emulate the success of YouTube. Others that have jumped on the bandwagon include Microsoft Corp. which started testing its equivalent, called Soapbox, last Tuesday. Others out to vie for a slice of the billion dollar advertising revenue that this market has created virtually overnight, include Google, Yahoo, News Corp.'s networking site MySpace. Last month, Sony Corp. offered USD65 million for Grouper.com, another video sharing site. According to Nielsen//Netratings, YouTube last August attracted 34 million visitors.
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....